The church is owned by the Romanian Patriarchy. It was built in 1905 – 1908 and was consecrated on December 6, 1923 from the spiritual heads of the Romanian and Bulgarian churches. The architecture of the temple is in Romanian style of the 18th century – basilica with a narthex, a central dome and two smaller over the narthex. There are three Holy Alters – Central, Southern – dedicated to Arhangel Mihail and Arhangel Gavriil and Northern – Arhidyakon Stefan. The frescoes are from the school Bella-arte. During the bombing in 1944 the main dome was destroyed, but it was rebuilt and restored in 1948. The altar, pulpit and bishop’s throne are carved and donated by various churches in Romania. It is located at 152, Knyaz Boris I Str.
St. Nikolay of Sofia Church is one of the biggest in Bulgaria, designed by the architect Anton Torniov. The story of the church building is long and fraught with many obstacles and problems. In a silver reliquary rested part of the relics of the martyr, and another part was in “St. Sofia”. In the 70s of last century the reliquary was stolen, but “St. Sofia Church gave the other rest of the relics of the martyr. Nowadays, every year, on the eve of the feast, a solemn Great “Vechernya” is made a procession led by the relics of St. Nikolay to the grave of saint, which is the only preserved grave of a Bulgarian martyr. On May 17 a Divine Liturgy is given and the relics of the martyr are displayed for the faithful worshipers. It is located at 76, Pirotska Str.
One of the first churches built in Sofia after the Russo-Turkish War (1878), is “St. Cyril and Methodius”. The temple plays an important role in the spiritual and educational mission of the Church through the difficult years of the revival of the Bulgarian nation after the liberation from Ottoman rule.
The icons of the iconostasis are rare and valuable, they are all works of famous Bulgarian artist like Ivan Dimitrov, Professor Stefan Ivanov, G. Zhelyazkov, prof. St. Badzhov and Apostol Hristov. The church board of the temple has had a substantial social and charitable role over the years, particularly significant between the two world wars. The collected money from the Temple are given to help the poor and sick, infirm, disabled and homeless by war refugees.
With the blessing and the methodological and practical support of the temple, its priests established in the parish a Youth center, full church choir, school of icon painting and church carvings, parish publishing center, the Centre for Religious Studies and consultations and courses on Orthodoxy since 2004. It is located at 47, George Washington Str.
In the year 2005 the silent Street of Yakubitsa 10 in the Lozenets quarter was opened as a museum house of one of the most popular Bulgarian composers of the twentieth century – Pancho Vladigerov. This was the last home of the composer which now is a home for the splendid exposition of the personal life of the musician. Here is the original manuscript of the famous Vardar Rapsody, as well as the personal book and music library of Vladigerov, also his personal letter – correspondence is kept. One can tell from far away that this was the home of a musical artist – the outer door is arranged with two nightingales that welcome the guests and visitors. The museum itself is located in the most spacious place of the house – the livingroom. The working hours are Monday through Friday from 10h to 17h.
It is located at 10, Yakobitsa Str.
The collection of the museum stores complete archive of the writer – manuscripts, documents, photographs, records of his scientific work, portraits and illustrations by Georgi Daskalov, Alexander Dobrinov, Ilia Petrov, Nikola Mirchev. Here are collected also archiv materials from the Harizanovi family, the poets Ekaterina Nencheva and Lena Levcheva, the writer Nelly Dospevska and Teodora Dimova, the Club of writers – doctors in Bulgaria. A characteristic feature of the exhibition is its authenticity. The Cabinet of Dimitar Dimov with his personal library / 3000 volumes / is fully preserved, as well as the laboratories illustrating his encyclopedic interests – the chemical, physical, radio, photographic labs. It is located at 26, Krastyo Sarafov Str.
The Meadow “Slaveykov’s oaks” is a mixture of natural beauty and cultural monument of national importance. The site is green space and authentic heritage from the famous writers Petko and Pencho Slaveikovi. Slaveikov oak is the oldest tree in the park, it is more than 500 years old. The five-centuries-old tree is located on the St. Naum boulevard. According to an order of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism from May 19, 2005 this meadow was declared a cultural monument of national importance. However, it is the last survivor of the old oak grove of Sofia – Kurubaglar, so its 300-years-old oaks are declared protected natural sites. The place was a family garden of the Slaveikovi family. Here were the meetings of the four members of the “Misyl (Thought)” circle – Pencho Slaveikov, Peyo Yavorov, Petko Todorov, Dr. Krastev as well as Mara Belcheva, Boyan Penev and many other friends and public figures. It was here that Pencho Slaveikov wrote some of his most famous works. In the years since the death of Pencho Slaveikov until now the Slaveikov family insists this place be dedicated to the memory of two poets.
It is located in the frame, shaped by St. Naum blvd, Joan Ekzarch str., Sveta Gora str., and Chernorisetz Hrabar str.
The tower was designed by Austrian architect and built by the French School for construction of water towers in the 20s of 20th century. It is distinguished by its original design and is one of the authentic architectural landmarks of the Lozenets Quarter. It is located at the intersection of Galichitza and St. Teodosiy Tarnovsky steets.
People from the neighborhood say that the place is called Cross because of the ancient story that here in this place Emperor Constantine the Great saw a sign of Cross in the sky and heard the voice of Lord, who told him that this sign will help him defeat his enemies. According to the legend the citizens of Sofia made a cross on monument shortly after the event in memory and in honor of the dead Russian soldiers in the Bulgarian War of Liberation. It is believed that the stone cross is the first in Sofia and Bulgaria’s first memorial monument erected as a sign of gratitude to the liberators. The shape of the cross is distinguished by sacred uniqueness.
In March 2005 the National Council for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of the Ministry of Culture decided that the monument be declared a historical monument with local significance.
The Zoo is the oldest and largest on the Balkan Peninsula. Founded in 1888 by Prince Ferdinand, it quickly gained popularity and became a place of recreation, entertainment and knowledge with a worldwide renowned specialists and breeders of rare and valuable animals. In 1982 the Zoo was moved from its little place in the city center on the territory of today’s Lozenets Quarter, covering an area of more than 360 acres. The Zoo is located 15 minutes from downtown Sofia and is connected by convenient transport links to different parts of the capital. Nowadays there are trends in zoos for four main directions of contribution to the protection of endangered landscape and biodiversity. Along with their entertainment function of providing recreation to visitors among creatures of the wild, zoos have become centers for breeding of endangered species through international cooperative programs and establish a basis for environmental education and widely applicable scientific research.